Saturday, March 2, 2024

March is Developmental Disabilities Month

"Recognizing and respecting difference in others and treating everyone like you want them to treat you, will help make our world a better place for everyone. Care... be your best. You don't have to be handicapped to be different. Everyone is different!" ~ Kim Peek

Good morning; afternoon; and evening friends and fans! Namasté. 🧘🏾‍♀️ As many of you may or may not be aware of, March is Developmental Disabilities Month, and I may write a little something in October as well since Americans observe National Disability Employment Awareness Month. In this particular blog, we'll focus more on resources on services, however, I'm not sure what services are currently available in other states outside of New York City and I'll include places where people with disabilities can receive evaluations. I hope these resources help those who don't know where to go or have a social worker to help them along the way in life and it's going to be a journey in applying for programs such as OPWDD (Office for People with Developmental Disabilities). Here is a video on what OPWDD has to offer what services they have to offer: OPWDD Services and best of luck on your journey. If you're a New York City resident, and looking to be a part of OPWDD, I believe you'll need a current evaluation from Queens Center for Progress, an I.E.P (Individualized Education Program) from high school just in case but I highly doubt they'll need it (don't quote me on it but do your research anyway to keep yourself covered). It's a process, and best to stay on top of things so things will go smoothly. If you reside in another state such as Florida, and feel free to research what's available in a city near you! You have until you are 21 to pass all of your RCT's (Regents Competency Tests) and not many people are aware of this knowledge but it's good to know anyway.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing." ~ Muhammad Ali

It's not easy living life with a disability, especially an intellectual disability and speech impediment but it does not mean I'm incompetent or that you have the legal right to treat me any less different than anyone else, especially if I've never done anything to you. As the saying goes, treat others the way you want to be treated because at some point in your own life you'll get your own karma coming your way sooner or later. For people such as myself, life is not living life with an intellectual disability such as a learning disability and a speech impediment. I have a hard time pronouncing peninsula and vanilla. I've had people say they "haven't noticed a speech impediment" whenever I text them, however, I'm not sure if they're being polite by saying they haven't (allegedly) noticed a speech impediment as to not to hurt my feelings and causing me to feel even more self-conscious when I speak and I don't need to feel any more self-conscious than I already am when I speak. It can be quite frustrating at times but it's not easy either and who says it has to be easy? As mentioned before, it's not easy living life with an intellectual disability and speech impediment. It takes me longer to learn something new and all I ask for is for patience when dealing with me! I'm just as human as anyone else and no, I'm not trying to gain sympathy from people just because of my disabilities and I'm simply saying it hasn't always been easy but at times this can be frustrating at times.

"When it comes to diversity and with disabilities, we always need to find a way to express who we are in our own ways." ~ Jamie Brewer, actress

If you're seeking employment opportunities, there's Adult Career and Continuing Education Services - Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES - VR) and General Human Outreach, I'm not sure what other supportive employment programs are currently available outside of and within OPWDD because I am in the process of getting my son, Stephan into the OPWDD program and I'm hoping to receive services through GHO for Family Support Services. My son is on the (autistic) spectrum but is functional, meaning he is able to do the basic things such as brushing his teeth, taking care of his bathroom needs (taking bathroom breaks and freshening up, meaning taking showers), feeding himself, communicating (he's verbal), etc. Other than that, I'm not sure what other supportive employment programs are available, and I hope to find more information through my son's case manager through Tri-County Care or through a social worker or possibility through his teachers at his high school. Once when I have more information, I will be sure to pass that information onto you once when they become available!

"The most interesting people you'll find are the ones that don't fit into your average cardboard box. They'll make what they need, they'll make their own boxes." ~ Dr. Temple Grandin, professor with autism

Last but not least, there's CIDNY and OPWDD Housing Option and Resources at your earliest convenience. The video is informative in my opinion, and I hope you find the video to be useful yet helpful. Since life here in New York City is expensive as it is, especially if you wish to have a place to call your own and the rent is scary expensive as it is, especially if you wish to have a place to call your own and my personal goal is to eventually have a place to call my own. However, my budget currently does not allow me to live on my own because I do not earn enough to live on my own and I'm certain there are resources for low-income families. Anything is better than having to live with my mother! When I have additional information on affordable housing, I will be sure to include that information on here so you'd be up to date and have this type of knowledge for yourselves.

Blessed be,

Jennifer



No comments:

Post a Comment