Thursday, June 25, 2026

My Tubal Ligation: Two Years Later and Still the Best Decision Ever

"It was just a weight lifted off my shoulders that I'm not ever going to get pregnant now. That's just been my nightmare since I was a teenager." ~ A patient sharing her experience with Today

Good morning; afternoon; and evening friends and fans! Namasté. 🧘🏽‍♀️ It's been two years since I've had my tubes tied and I have zero regrets on my personal decision to have my tubes tied. Although I honestly wish I had done it years ago since I never had that maternal desire to start a family of my own. I can't change the past but if I could have done things differently, I would have gotten health insurance and had my tubes tied which is my biggest regret of not doing this much sooner. Don't get me wrong, I like children and not everyone wants children just because naturally was born with a uterus and a vagina simply does not mean you want children just to squeeze yourself what society expects from every individual. If I could trade places with another woman who suffers from infertility issues, I would totally trade places with her on any given day without even thinking twice about it because it makes me internally smile knowing that her wish is being fulfilled of having a family without having to spend thousands of dollars on IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) treatments. I personally feel it's money you could use for your first home between the amount of money spent on IVF treatments to the medications the doctors prescribe their patients to those eighteen years of caring and taking care of a child. If having a family makes you very happy, I'm happy that you're happy. Again, if I could trade places with you, I would do it in a blink of an eye so I can pursue my own dreams all without having children slowing me down in any kind of way and making me feel a certain type of way that my dreams, hope for a better future, aspiration, having a college degree and having an actual career as a photographer won't feel as short lived before I'm ready to retire. Or feeling like my dream of a better life living child free, having a college degree, having a career, and wanting to travel the world on my own terms won't feel like it sadly ended at age 26. I wonder what my life would have been like had I gotten my tubes tied ages ago and I feel like my life would have turned out very different had my tubes been tied. I would not be in this predicament if I had gotten my tubes tied a long time ago because I know what my situation is, even if you're one of those who will ask, "What if you change your mind?" Or "What if you meet the right guy?" Questions like that, I'm going to keep all ten of my ten toes firmly on the ground and say this with my whole chest, just because it's expected for all women to pop out one baby after another does not or should not apply to all women because not everyone desires the idea of life as parents. I feel not everyone likes children or have that natural maternal desire to even have children which is perfectly fine by me, to each their own.

"Those of us who are childfree will never have the life experience of being a parent. Even for those who very much wanted to have children, but by chance or biology could not, there is no reason to not find purpose and fantastic enjoyment in life." ~ Ellen L. Walker
I have no regrets on having my tubes tied two years ago and I feel it's the best decision of my life but again, I just wish I had done this at age twenty. If I had done that, I feel that I would not be where I am at in life, I could have gone my way, and my son's father could have gone his own way. I would be doing my own thing as a photographer, and I wouldn't feel like my own life ended as I became a mom at age 26 through rape. I've always experienced irregular menstrual cycles over the years, and I wonder if that's what messed me up. All in all, I hold no regrets of having my tubes tied for the last twenty-four months. I don't know I do feel guilty for being healthy enough to have children while there are people out there who suffer from infertility which is why I would love to trade places with them on any given day. Having children is not for the faint of heart and unfortunately, there is no return policy on children after thirty days so to speak. Have that hard but honest and uncomfortable conversation with yourself before you lay in bed with anyone on where you're at in life. If you know for sure you are not ready for children, have that uncomfortable conversation with yourself because it is at the end of the day a commitment raising a child in this economy along with the sacrifices that comes along with raising a child [unfortunately]. If you for sure you aren't ready to have children, do what you have to protect yourself first and not be in an unpleasant predicament like I am regretting not getting your tubes tied ages ago. If you feel that being childfree is the best way to go, protect yourself now and you can't go wrong! It's been two years since I've had my tubes tied, I haven't had any common symptoms such as heavier, lighter, or irregular periods, and worse cramps. I've always experienced irregular menstrual cycles which is nothing new to me. Every woman's body is built different where their bodies change after they've had their tubes tied. So far, all is good on my end and as long as I maintain a healthy diet and exercise.

Blessed be,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Capturing the Moment: Why We Celebrate World Photography Day

"Photography has been my way of bearing witness to the joy I find in seeing the extraordinary in ordinary." ~  Harold Feinstein Go...